Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Bathroom Renovation - Part Two

The bathroom renovation continues... 

It's been almost a month of working on this bathroom, and by now I've thought we would have been done, but what did I know???

In our defense, we can only work on it on the weekend. And even then, there have been some scheduling issues with the plumber, and the tub delivery delayed... but I'm not complaining, we are almost done with it. 

To continue where I left off, this is right after the old tub was discarded, and a temporary floor was put in.


Now take a look at our plumbing situation, even if you are like me and understand nothing about plumbing I'm sure you can tell there is something wrong with the guy on the left. Broken. The big guy on the right looked ok to me, but keep reading and you'll find out that he was not ok...


This is my husband's cousin, which fortunately is an electrician, and he came over to give us a hand and rewire the whole bathroom. He told us that all the wires were old, not code compliant, and even wired wrong.


There it is! My brand new outlet! Looking all clean and new among the destruction that still is the bathroom. Oh, and let's not forget the brand new tub! That's my American Standard Cambridge. 


Let's take a moment and admire all the new electrical things in this picture (that's a phrase I never thought I would ever say)!


And look! The plumber came and cleaned up the broken pipe on the left, replaced the little one on the bottom, and also replaced the bigger one on the right. Do you want to know how much that elbow-shaped pipe costs new? More than $200! And you know what's going through that pipe??? It shouldn't cost $200...


Here is some more under-floor being put in place. It's all like a big puzzle, you just have to make sure that all the pieces fit correctly. 


Up goes the wall insulation. After so much research, we decided to use something more natural and with no fiberglass, so Roxul was the winner.


It looks much neater now, doesn't it?


The next step was putting up walls. But before we did that, we had to do a lot of re-framing, because the walls were a bit uneven. Also, the first boards were put up wrong, on the wrong side, and fortunately, we discovered this after only three boards were up.


Down the wrong ones, and back up on the right side. Technically, it wasn't so wrong. But the vendor, Durock, suggested rougher side up if you want to put tiles on it.


To make matters more interesting, in a bathroom you need to use two different kinds of walls: the durock by the wet area, and regular dry wall for the rest of the walls.


See what I mean? And of course, each wall wants its own screws. More material to buy and to confuse me...


I see a light at the end of the tunnel!


More Durock on this side of the tub/shower.


And finally, some semblance of a bathroom begins to appear! We are now tiling!!! (well, he is...)


This is another great guy that has offered to come and help us out! A friend of mine who happens to be in the drywall and tiling business. He is doing a great job!


The tub area is done! This is my beige marble-looking tile, put up with as little spacing in between as possible.


The accent tile goes all around. I still have to decide what color to paint the wall. Maybe green or maybe a soft white. Also, I still have to figure out if I want the bullnose around the edges of the tiles. My friend tells me that in Europe they leave it like this, and it's true, because I've seen plenty of pictures... but I'm not sure, I'm used to seeing the bullnose defining the edge of tiling so much, that this looks a little unfinished. I have a couple of days to make up my mind.


How pretty is my accent tile?


And this is the other side of the tub/shower area. 


We should have three more days of work and be done with it. I hope... 

Stay tuned for more or Read Part One

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss those red and brown tiles, the orange ones sparkle and glimmer while looking at all the rest of the darker colors its surrounded by. I wish you luck in your renovation, and for a very pretty new bathroom to prelude.

    -Bronx Shower Doors
    Shower Enclosures Bronx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bathroom certainly needs a lot of work! Good thing you have great friends to help you out with this. And with your friends around, the work will be enjoyable and fun! How’s the bathroom now? Keep us updated, ok?


    @Kristopher Diss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired having you guys working on this project! Every picture is expressing the experience of you guys. When I got the first pic I didn't realize that it could be transformed in such way.


    Bono@ boiler guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. The small tile design is nice and I love the color choices. It is a huge undertaking whenever people decide to renovate the bathroom but with such great results. Also the value that it adds is a nice bonus. The up-keep on a house is expensive but is a worth while investment that you will see return on.


    devis rénovation salle de bain

    ReplyDelete
  5. For bathroom renovation contractors that specialize in bathroom remodelling and design get the pros at bathroom remodel Vancouver. For great prices and professional workmanship from the plumbing to the tile and everything in between. Serving Vancouver for many years and delivering the best bathrooms in Vancouver area. If you want more info click here link : Bathroom renovations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should you feel find it difficult to, you undoubtedly is not able to; If you don't intend, to have failing. Things are subject to intellect, reduction of hundreds exercises are hopeless prior to starting. remodel

    ReplyDelete