Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bathroom Renovation - Part Three

Let me start this post with a laugh... ha ha ha!!!

I was just laughing at how I finished up Part Two of this bathroom renovation: "we should have three more days of work and be done with it", oh my! what planet did I think I was on?!?! That was back in November 2012 and now it's the end of February 2013 and I still can't say the bathroom is "completely" done.

But for the purpose of this blog, we will say IT IS DONE.  :)

All I'm missing is the saddle and the caulking of the floor after the saddle goes on.

So, let's look at some pictures, shall we?

We left off with just the tiles, and a tub.



We decided to tile the floor ourselves:


We didn't do bad, but not great either. The next day we pulled up some tiles I wasn't happy with (lippage) and we re-set them. Overall, a decent job. Not perfect, but decent.


In went the toilet (plumber did it).


And my Moen fixtures.


We debated about how to border the tiles with the accent tile.


Then went the vanity and the mirror (hubby did it!)

Moen fixtures on the sink as well (hubby again!)

And this is when the struggle for the wall color begun (you can read all about it on Houzz: Bathroom Wall Color Help!)

I couldn't make up my mind for the longest time, and I needed the input of 200 people to finally make up my mind!

I sampled colors from the accent tile, but I wasn't thrilled.


Then I tried with greens, but I didn't feel the greens at all. Some people suggested gray, and that didn't do it either.


Also, based on the suggestions from my friends from Houzz I knew I had to change a few things: 

1) The mirror had to be recessed. And had to have some kind of a border, because the one I had was too modern for the space and it just didn't look right.

2) The shower curtain color had to be different.

3) The outlet on the wall had to be hidden somehow.

4) Oh, and yes, I still had to pick a wall color!

After so much research, and the best advice on the Houzz forum (follow your heart), I picked the color I had already picked in my heart (I just didn't know it). 

What I wanted was something in the light beige family. I didn't want anything that would make the wall pop too much nor anything too dark. 

So I took one of the tiles from the bathroom (the wall tiles, not the accent tile) and grabbed my ever-growing Benjamin Moore color swatches and started my research. Pretty quickly I knew which color I was going to use: French White.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the result of 4 months of hard work!


I am very happy with the result! The new mirror is actually the mirror I had wanted from the beginning, but it was backordered in every store and website I went for the longest time. Until I decided that I was going to wait for it no matter how long it was going to take to receive it.

The towel rack helps disguise the outlet. If I ever want it completely covered, all I have to do is put a few hand towels in front of it.

The darker colored shower curtain looks so much better than the one I had before.

And the French White color on the walls, makes the whole space look clean, spa-like and it gives me such a sense of serenity that I love!

Overall, I think we've spent more than I thought we would, around $5,000, with almost $2,000 going to the plumber (the only labor we've paid for in this bathroom). But I hear we've saved more than $10,000 by doing it ourselves.  :)

PS. By the way, I tiled some of the accent tile, grouted the tiles, caulked where needed, and painted the walls myself!

So this is it for the bathroom (I can't believe it's done!). If you wish to read more, these are Part One and Part Two of the demo/reno journey.

On to the kitchen!

33 comments:

  1. Amazing transformation! This time, you chose very beautiful tiles for your bathroom. You chose earth colored tones that made it so cozy. It really looks a lot better than before. Good job!

    Kip Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the overall remodeling finish of this bathroom especially the Glass Doors. And there is a doll behind the toilet,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doll behind the toilet is a bath toy, that's why she is so close to the tub. Good catch, though.

      Delete
  3. Your 4 months of hard work in this bathroom definitely paid off. Remodeling a bathroom is fun and exciting, but it is also challenging and complicated. With the trial-and-error procedure you did, I think you got the right design that you wanted. The color feels warm and comfy. ->Randell Jeffries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working on a bathroom for four months may seem an inconvenience. Nevertheless, you ended up with a gorgeous result! The color of the wall, tiles, lightings, and bathroom fixtures matched together. I love it!

    Sasha Herrick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the greens could possibly work, but I would automatically rule out the first shade. Way too bright.

    -Long Island Shower Doors
    Custom Mirrors Suffolk County

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for posting, we have a bathroom very similar to yours and were looking for a tub and found your blog. How do you like the steel tub so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,
      it's been 6 months now and we love it still! Just make sure to fill it up inside with mortar or whatever it is they put inside of it to prevent that hollow sound. My husband did it, but he must have missed one little spot and that's the only place I feel it's empty inside, but fortunately it's a small spot. The rest of it feels very sturdy. And it's wider than our old tub which is great. Good luck with your tub.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing such an informative post about bathroom remodeling. Your bathroom remodeling designs are very nice. If we use this bathroom remodeling ideas for your home. Your bathrooms look very beautiful.



    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking bathroom. I must say its quite resplendent. How long did it take you to remodel it? I am starting my bathroom renovations in Oakville at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bathroom looking really nice after renovation, really you have done great hard work for your bathroom. Great job dear!

    Bathroom Renovation Ideas from Baths Vanities

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good designs. I like the white colour on walls because with white walls bathroom looks clean at a first glance. You have done your work efficiently and we understand that bathroom renovation require much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For my bathroom I would rather use a different sink for example: Kraus Glass but I believe that Kraus is not available in the Australia... the same in Europe, so any other Glass sink :) But it's only my thoughts and feeling. Anyway the bathroom look so great! I like the brownish and sand colours give a good temperature to the room, warmed a bit. Good Work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious what you thought of the Americast tub??? We are looking at getting the same one and had a cast iron before. I am really nervous about it. I'm afraid it will chip and rust. How have you liked it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin,
      it's been a year now and I have to say I'm still very happy with it and I've had no problems whatsoever. It has not chipped anywhere (is it supposed to?), but I do take extra care when washing it, meaning I don't use anything harsh, actually I've found that dish soap (dawn) works great for it. I love it. I really do. And now I'm happier than ever that I picked this tub over the cast iron one.

      Delete
  13. having this kind of renovation surely a high investment. But Your really did great on renovating your bathroom. Hope I can have an artistic mind like yours. I want to renovate my bathroom cause i want to install some frameless shower screen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate you great job while sharing this interesting and informative post about the bathroom renovation, which is informative and knowledgeable and help most the people to renovate our bathroom. As we are also working with bathroom wholesaler in Sydney.

    Prodigg Signatures

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of the tile in this bathroom! I want to do some remodels on my bathrooms. They are all very small, so I like how you utilized the space you had to work with. You've given me some inspiration!
    Gary Puntman | http://www.boutiquerenovationsperth.com.au/services1

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know exactly what you mean. Somehow weekend projects always end up becoming New Years resolutions for me. Your renovation looks amazing though. I love the tile everywhere.

    Steve Carter | http://www.creativebathroomsandkitchens.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post,Your style of presentation is very impressive. I really love it, I think it will be help of all.Kitchen contractor

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your bathroom transformation is amazing and the new look is so amazing. Bathroom remodeler Austin

    ReplyDelete
  19. The problem is that you provide may be worth our time and also effort. http://www.bathroomfittersmanchester.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post starts up made me laugh a lot although I got your post late but anyways, I appreciate your hard work. It’s clear how cleanly you are doing well with your bathroom renovation part |||. Want to see your complete transformation. Best of luck!

    Kitchen Remodeling Companies

    ReplyDelete
  21. For bathroom renovation contractors that specialize in bathroom remodelling and design get the pros at bathroom remodel Vancouver. For great prices and professional workmanship from the plumbing to the tile and everything in between. Serving Vancouver for many years and delivering the best bathrooms in Vancouver area. If you want more info click here link : Bathroom Reno Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your journey, and I'll definitely check out Part One and Part Two to get the full scope of your demo/reno adventure. Best of luck, and here's to enjoying your newly renovated space! Green Z Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Bathroom Renovation - Part Three is so inspiring! I love how you're transforming the space. Can't wait to see the final result.Green Z Modeling

    ReplyDelete
  24. The transformation in Part Three of the bathroom renovation is incredible! The new fixtures and tiles give it a modern touch that's both stylish and functional. Amazing work.Green Z Modeling

    ReplyDelete